Citrus County Workforce Expansion Grant
Citrus County Workforce Expansion Grant Application
The Workforce Expansion Grant aids local businesses with a physical location in Citrus County. Grants are strictly limited to a qualified new or existing Target Industry business located within Citrus County, including the cities of Inverness and Crystal River. Funds can only be used for businesses to expand their workforce with new hires up to $2,000 for each new increased Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) position in their workforce after March 1st, 2020. Citrus County has limited funding of $300,0000 available for this grant program, which requires no payback from qualifying businesses who receive payments. These funds are considered taxable income; please contact your financial advisor for guidance.
An eligible business for this grant includes the following:
• The qualified Target Industry business has a physical location within Citrus County and has a current Citrus County Business Tax Receipt (BTR) Certificate, a current City of Crystal River BTR Certificate, or a current City of Inverness BTR Certificate. The business is a recognized Target Industry as defined by the State of Florida and/or Citrus County. Target Industries are identified as Aviation and Aerospace, Cleantech, Corporate Headquarters, Defense and Homeland Security, Distribution and Logistics, Financial and Professional Service, Information Technology, Life Sciences, Manufacturing, and any other industry the State and/or County may determine as a Target Industry.
• Has at least one (1), full-time equivalent (FTE) employee, including the business owner.
Eligible Grant Uses Include:
• The business can demonstrate ongoing business operations in Citrus County.
• A business that increases and retains its workforce after March 1st, 2020 with qualifying positions with wages at or above the prevailing wage, or businesses that hire and retain employees with wages at or above 115% of the county’s current annual average (presently $38,428) for each full-time equivalent position. At a minimum, all created jobs must be retained from the time they are created to when the final 941 Quarterly Tax Return is submitted, approximately one year.
Businesses ineligible for a Workforce Expansion Grant include:
• Businesses not physically located in Citrus County and not considered a Target Industry, such as retail and food establishments, construction, home-based business, hospitality, healthcare facilities, and non-profit organizations.
• Publicly traded companies owned by stockholders who may not be residents and are not involved in the day-to-day operations of the company.
• Businesses with unpaid code enforcement liens or fees due a City and/or the County.
• Businesses with an owner, officer, partner, or principal actor who has a felony, or financial mismanagement conviction within the last two years for which he or she is still serving a sentence (including prison, parole, and probation).
• Businesses without a valid Citrus County issued BTR.
• A business with a current Citrus County BTR Certificate, a City of Crystal River BTR Certificate, or a current City of Inverness BTR Certificate.
• Has at least one (1) full-time equivalent employee, in addition to the business owner.
• A local business recognized as a Target Industry that increases its workforce after March 1st, 2020 and hires at or above the current county average annual wage ($38,428) are eligible for an award of $1,000 per job. Businesses are eligible for $2,000 for each qualified full-time equivalent position if wages are 115% or more of the current county annual average wage.
• A completed and signed IRS W‐9 form. You can find this form at:
• A BTR issued by the Citrus County Tax Collector, by the City of Crystal River, or by the City of Inverness.
• Staffing documentation: The most current 941 Quarterly Tax Return for when a grant application is submitted and subsequent payroll reports showing staffing levels, after which three subsequent 941’s and subsequent payroll reports showing staffing levels that include new and retained employees. The reports should detail the hiring of employees at the wage levels described above; which will help establish hiring levels and job retention duration.
A current BTR issued by the Citrus County Tax Collector, by the City of Crystal River, or by the City of Inverness. The most current 941 Quarterly Tax Return, with three subsequent 941’s for respective reporting periods.
Payroll reports for all four quarters detailing new and retained hires at or above the prevailing wage for the positions.