Sewer Connection Incentive Program
Per the Florida Springs and Aquifer Protection Act (2016), the Basin Management Action Plan (BMAP), and Florida Statue 403.067 (7), and in response to the 2021 Water Feasibility Study, Citrus County (the County) initiated the Citrus County Sewer Connection Incentive Program (Sewer Connection Program) to assist Citrus County citizens with grant funding. The Sewer Connection Program begins Wednesday, July 14, 2021, at 8:00 a.m. and ends on Saturday, February 29, 2024, at 5:00 p.m. The Sewer Connection Program is subject to funding availability with a State grant from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP). The Sewer Connection Program grants are strictly limited to only eligible targeted areas pre-approved by FDEP. The Sewer Connection Program is available until the $703,000 of FDEP grant funding is thoroughly exhausted or February 29, 2024. Per the FDEP funding agreement all sitework and inspections must be completed by March 31, 2024.
The Sewer Connection Program grants are strictly limited to only eligible targeted areas pre-approved by FDEP.
Sewer Connection Program
The Sewer Connection Program provides a reimbursement, of up to $4,000.00 per existing home, to eligible Homeowners, in a pre-approved FDEP area, to assist with costs incurred to switch from an existing septic system and connect to central sewer.
The Homeowner agrees to pay any additional costs above the Sewer Connection Program’s $4,000.00 grant award and any ineligible grant expenses. All completed work must follow all applicable County codes and Florida Health Department requirements.
Permits must be applied for and approved prior to start of site work.
The following fees are ineligible for grant reimbursement, therefore the Homeowner is responsible for the following charges (amounts listed are current as of July 1, 2021, and subject to change at any time):
- Citrus County Building Department inspection fee of approximately $54.00
- Citrus County Right-of Way Permit of approximately $30.00
- Citrus County Wastewater deposit of $120.00
- Citrus County Wastewater Inspection fee of $100.00
- Citrus County Utility account activation fee of $35.00
- Florida Health Department Abandonment Permit fee of $50.00
Once the Homeowner's registered septic installer or licensed plumber completes the work to connect to the central sewer system and all inspections are complete, the Homeowner will remit all eligible paid receipts and proof of payment for reimbursement review. The proof of payment must be a cleared bank check, credit/debit card receipt, or copy of a cashier’s check.
Upon review and approval of the site work and receipts, the Homeowner will receive a credit of $2,745.00 to their Citrus County Building Department permit fee account. This credit is to cover the County required Utility Wastewater Plant Capacity charge ($1,625.00) and Utility Wastewater Off-site Facilities Charge ($1,120.00). These charges are required for every residential wastewater account when connecting to the Citrus County Wastewater System.
Additional grant funding of up to $1,255.00 is available to the Homeowner for sewer connection costs which include demolition of old septic tank, plumbing work from the house to the County right-of-way, and connection of the on-sight plumbing to the County’s wastewater collection infrastructure. Receipts must be provided from a registered septic installer or licensed plumber.
All sitework and inspections must be completed by March 31, 2024.
Applicant Process Criteria
- The Water Resources Department will mail the Sewer Connection Grant Pre-Application to an eligible grant applicant FDEP approved address. The Grant Pre-Application must be submitted for each eligible home. This will be done utilizing a link posted to the Citrus County Water Resources Department webpage through SurveyMonkey (https://citrusbocc.smapply.io/prog/sewer_connection_incentive_program) or by mail or in-person drop off to:
Citrus County Department of Water Resources
3600 W Sovereign Path
Lecanto, FL 34461
- The pre-application will be assigned a grant number for tracking purposes. If the grant application form is incomplete, the Water Resources Department will contact the applicant by the preferred method chosen by the applicant on the grant pre-application.
- The Water Resources Department will notify the Homeowner of the eligibility determination. If eligibility is approved, the Water Resources Department remits a Grant Reimbursement Checklist to the Homeowner by the preferred method chosen by the applicant. Please retain this checklist as it will contain your application number and will be needed for reimbursement. The eligibility approval will hold your funding but does not guarantee payment until all requirements are met. If eligibility is denied, the Water Resources Department will notify the Homeowner of the determination.
- The Homeowner selects the registered septic installer or the licensed plumber to obtain the plumbing permits to complete the sewer connection work. The grant will cover up to $1,255.00 grant eligible plumbing costs. The grant eligible costs to connect to the central sewer include the demolition of the septic tank, plumbing work from the house to the County right-of-way, and connection of the on-site plumbing to the County’s wastewater collection infrastructure. The Homeowner will be responsible for any additional costs or grant ineligible costs above the $1,255.00 amount.
- The Homeowner is responsible for the following fees (amounts listed are current as of July 1, 2021, and subject to change at any time):
• Citrus County Building Department inspection fee of approximately $54.00
• Citrus County Right-of Way Permit of approximately $30.00
• Citrus County Wastewater deposit of $120.00
• Citrus County Wastewater Inspection fee of $100.00
• Citrus County Utility account activation fee of $35.00
• Florida Health Department Abandonment Permit fee of $50.00
Due to the service types, these are ineligible grant expenses.
- Once fully completed, inspected, and approved by the Citrus County Department of Water Resources and the Florida Health Department, the Homeowner will remit the Sewer Connection Program’s Grant Reimbursement Packet to the Water Resources Department. This will be done utilizing SurveyMonkey Apply (https://citrusbocc.smapply.io/prog/sewer_connection_incentive_program), this website you currently on.
or by mail or in-person drop off to:
Citrus County Water Resources Department
3600 W Sovereign Path
Lecanto, FL 34461
- The Water Resources Department will review the Packet and forward to the Grants Division for final approval.
- The Grants Division will review and award up to $4,000 grant award including:
a. A credit of $2,745.00 to the Homeowner’s Citrus County Building Department’s Permit Fee Account to cover the fees required by the County to connect to the Wastewater System.
b. A grant reimbursement of up to $1,255.00 for sewer connection costs based on the eligible paid receipts of the registered septic installer or licensed plumber to the Homeowner.
Eligible grant awards are on a first‐approved pre -application basis. Please submit applications in their entirety. The County may determine that further information is necessary to process a grant request and contact the applicant by email and/or mail according to the Homeowners preference, for additional documentation. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide this information as requested. The County does not consider incomplete applications. The Grant applications will be accepted until funds are exhausted or program deadline of September 30, 2023, has been meet.
Ineligible Grant Applicants and Costs
- A Homeowner with unpaid County code enforcement license, fees, or property taxes.
- A Homeowner with the adjudication of guilt withheld for a crime which is a felony or financial mismanagement within the last two years.
- A Homeowner with a residence not in an approved FDEP Area.
- Non-residential parcels.
- Sitework and inspections completed after March 31, 2024.